April 15, 2018

Sculpture Module Begins


April 15, 2018
There's a chorus of frogs singing every night in the pond outside my window where urban meets rural. Missing peeper season in Wellfleet. I heard a backhoe outside the other day. Now the farm has another pond. Its rained hard yesterday. Plants thriving. Along the railroad tracks, too, veggies are growing fast. 
I'm happy to be working hard here now as our sculpture module kicks into gear. I am turning an empty exhibiton space into studio space. (I will have to turn it into exhibition space in June) I salvaged dry discarded sheet rock cutoffs ffrom the pile next to the crumbled brick shack along the path I walk often  to cross the tracks. Cut them up and taped the edges for work supports.   I also found too heavy to move glass panels and some curved cut offs of white plexiglass. Nice forms.This recycling and reusing is something I would like to encourage in the students. Waiting for our 300 kilos of big pot clay. It is an easy dark brown groggy stoneware. With the little clay I have, I'm prepping tiles with contrasting high white porcelain slip for students to try sgraffito. Class starts Tuesday.
I am teaching with Kong Fanqiang, who is trained in traditional portrait and figure sculpture and whose bronze busts, figures and steel sculptures dot the SJTU campus. 
Learning sculpture by copying Henry Moore model

Class trip to the Pottery Workshop for lesson from Guo

I have also been asked to do a public art installation for the school and already over 25 people want to work on this. This is like teaching a whole other class for which I was not prepared. More to come.



No comments:

Post a Comment